UAP 030 Listening Summary Response UCW
Listening Summary Response University Canada West
Date: Friday, Week 4
Task: With a partner (assigned by your instructor), write a summary-response essay using one of the podcasts posted on the website below.
Choose a podcast from this website: https://www.ucanwest.ca/innovation-fuel
- Listen to the podcast and take notes
- Write a 150-200 word summary
- Write a 300-400 word response
The summary: (150-200 words – 1 paragraph ONLY)
- The first sentence should include the speaker, title, year of publication, and main idea (thesis) of the speaker.
- It should cover all the main points discussed in the podcast.
- It should include the speaker’s conclusion.
- It should not include any of your own opinion (just present the facts).
The response: (300-400 words – 3-4 paragraphs)
The response MUST demonstrate your opinion and should have 2 sections:
- Analysis (You MUST answer all of these questions in 1 paragraph)
- What is the author’s purpose for speaking (inform, persuade, recommend, etc.)?
- Who do you believe the author’s target audience is?
- What are the author’s supporting points?
- Do they directly support the main idea?
- Are they based on research; or are they simply someone’s opinion?
- Briefly discuss the research methodology (Did they only do research by referring to other articles or did they do their own experiments?)
- Relevance + Applicability (This section should be LONGER than the Analysis section)
- Is the author’s talk effective? Why or why not?
- Do you agree with the author’s conclusions? Why or why not?
- What implications (resulting effects) do the main points and conclusions present to the scientific (or other) community, people, environment, etc.?
- How could you use the author’s findings in your future studies?
- Can you apply the findings to your own life? If so, how? If not, why not?
- Would you recommend this podcast to others? Why or why not?
- What OTHER criteria did you assign to your critique?
Document Format: (Use the TEMPLATE available in the UCW library (click library).)
- Times New Roman
- 12 point font
- Page numbers
- Separate title page (see sample below)
- Title on top and centered on page 2
- 1 inch margins
- Paragraphs indented (press TAB at the start of a paragraph)
- Reference page on separate page
Correct APA format for the article you read.