MOD003345Operational and Project Management
|Module Title:||Operational and Project Management|
|Module Leader:||Adrian Gauci|
|Word Limit:||2500 words This excludes bibliography and other items listed in rule 6.83 of the Academic Regulations: http://web.anglia.ac.uk/anet/academic/public/aca demic_regs.pdf|
|Assessed Learning Outcomes||1, 2.|
|Submission Deadline :||Please refer to VLE for assessment deadline.|
WRITING YOUR ASSIGNMENT:
- This assignment must be completed individually.
- You must use the Harvard referencing system.
- Your work must indicate the number of words you have used. Written assignments must not exceed the specified maximum number of words. When a written assignment is marked, the excessive use of words beyond the word limit is reflected in the academic judgement of the piece of work which results in a lower mark being awarded for the piece of work (regulation 6.74).
- Assignment submissions are to be made anonymously. Do not write your name anywhere on your work.
- Write your student ID number at the top of every page.
- Where the assignment comprises more than one task, all tasks must be submitted in a single document.
- You must number all pages.
SUBMITTING YOUR ASSIGNMENT:
In order to achieve full marks, you must submit your work before the deadline. Work that is submitted late – up to five working days after the published submission deadline – will be accepted and marked. However, the element of the
module’s assessment to which the work contributes will be capped with a maximum mark of 40%.
Work cannot be submitted if the period of 5 working days after the deadline has passed (unless there is an approved extension). Failure to submit within the relevant period will mean that you have failed the assessment.
Requests for short-term extensions will only be considered in the case of illness or other cause considered valid by the Director of Studies Team. Please contact DoS@london.aru.ac.uk. A request must normally be received and agreed by the Director of Studies Team in writing at least 24 hours prior to the deadline. See rules 6.64-6.73: http://web.anglia.ac.uk/anet/academic/public/academic_regs.pdf
Mitigation: The deadline for submission of mitigation in relation to this assignment is no later than five working days after the submission date of this work. Please contact the Director of Studies Team – DoS@london.aru.ac.uk.
See rules 6.112 – 6.141:
Select any one organisation from the below industries:
- Food & Beverage Industry. e.g. Supermarkets, Restaurants, Food Delivery.
- Manufacturing Industry. e.g. Automotive, Construction, Pharma, Textile.
- Retail Industry. e.g. Online stores, Groceries, Clothing, Discount, Corner shops
- Hospitality & Tourism e.g. Hotels, Airlines, Resorts, Agencies, Events, Transport,
- Healthcare & Social Care e.g. Hospital, Dentists, Pharmacy, child care
The selected organisation could be the same one you selected for you first coursework.
For this assignment, imagine you are a newly recruited junior consultant at this organisation and you are required to prepare a comprehensive consultancy management report of 2,500 words to your operations manager fulfilling both tasks below.
Critically evaluate any two of the below operations areas by discussing the main theories / concepts / frameworks in each area AND then apply them by discussing real and complex examples from your selected organisation:
- Supply Chain Management – (Slack, Chapter 12)
- Quality Management – (Slack, Chapter 17)
- Capacity & Inventory Management – (Slack, Chapters 11 & 13)
Your new line manager asked you to include an investigative section in your consultancy report so to evaluate how your organisation’s operations department interacts / interrelate with any one other department from within your organisation from the below:
- Human Resources Management Department – (Slack, Chapter 9)
- Marketing & Sales Department
- Accounting & Finance Department.
Thus, this consultancy report will illustrate your understanding of the role of the operations department in creating competitive advantage at your selected organisation (LO1). It will also show to your new line manager the interdependence of the operations department on other functions within the company (LO2).
The suggested standard report format should include the following sections:
- A cover page
- An executive summary – 1 page, with brief overview of report content.
- A contents page – 1 page, showing all relevant sections and sub- sections
- An introduction – 300 words about your selected organisation
- Findings section – 2000 words as main body with four subsections as guided.
- A Conclusion section – 200 words – as overall conclusion
- A reference list – minimum of 8 to 10 academic sources in Harvard system.
- Appendix – optional
- Knowledge, understanding and analysis of the theories / concepts in relation to all topics (Skills). – 25 marks.
- Demonstrating Research and Application by providing industry examples from the selected organisation (Content)– 25 marks
- Relevant Authenticity and Investigation into the Interrelation of Operations with other Functions (Content, Skills) – 25 marks
- Originality, Structure, Presentation, Referencing (Skills) – 25 marks
- Slack N. and Brandon-Jones A. (2019). Operations Management, (9th Edition), London: Pearson. Core Chapters: 9, 11, 12, 13, 17.
- Slack N. and Brandon-Jones A. (2018). Essentials of Operations Management (2nd Edition), London: Pearson. Core Chapters: 6, 7, 8 & 12,
- Other industry reports from your selected organisation.
Students should also consult the main academic journals in the field:
- Production and Operations Management
- Manufacturing & Service Operations Management
- International Journal of Operations & Production Management
- British Journal of Management
- Harvard Business Review
- Sloan Management Review