MGT502 Business Communication
MGT502 BUSINESS COMMUNICATION ASSESSMENT PRESENTATION – EXEMPLARY BUSINESS PRESENTATION
ASSESSMENT 3 BRIEF
Subject Code and Title MGT502 Business Communication
Assessment Presentation – Exemplary Business Presentation
Length 5 minutes
Face-to-face students: presentation in class with 5-10 slides
Online students: video presentation
Learning Outcomes This assessment addresses the following Subject Learning Outcomes:
a) Apply research, academic and communication skills appropriate to the level of study and observe academic referencing requirements
c) Identify and apply effective communication methods within a business and academic environment
d) Evaluate the use and importance of technology within a business environment
Submission Face-to-face students: Facilitator to advise students on the exact date of presentation (the student will present during week 11)
Online students: Due by 11:55 pm AEST Friday of Module 6.1
Weighting 20 %
Total Marks 20 marks
In this subject, the students have been introduced to the concepts of business communication and transferrable academic skills. This assessment requires students to have a well-formed view of effective business communication, the importance and use of technology, and to apply their communication skills to deliver a compelling speech. In addition, this assessment requires students to develop competencies in video and audio presentation techniques.
You are required to prepare a 5-minute presentation identifying aspects of a specific type of exemplary business presentation such as sales pitches, progress reports, business proposals etc. (decided by facilitator). Describe the elements included in a successful delivery giving examples and practical recommendations.
· Face-to-face students should present their findings using 5-10 PowerPoint slides or Prezi.
· Online students may use visual aids in their video but should address the audience directly paying attention to audio quality, lighting quality, sincerity of presentation, clarity of your perspective, and overall impact.
In the presentation, students are required to:
· Introduce themselves
· Describe aspects of a specific type of effective business presentation (decided by the facilitator)
· Give examples and practical recommendations on how to succeed in delivery
· Deliver their speech in a compelling manner with clarity, conciseness, and concreteness
· Develop a conclusion.
Presentations should address the following questions, along with any other relevant points:
· What does an exemplary business presentation look like?
· Which characteristics make it effective?
· How does the effectiveness of the presentation affect the outcome?
· How can the use of technology improve business communication?
· In a business environment, when would you likely use business presentation skills?
· What is the main conclusion(s) of your presentation?
Students are expected to present their assessment to the class when directed to by the Learning Facilitator. They are expected to be dressed and groomed professionally and to attend and fully participate while their colleagues are presenting.
Submission Instructions for online students:
Submit your video in Assessment 3 Presentation submission link in the main navigation menu in MGT502 Business Communication by 11:55 pm AEST Friday of Module 6.1 (week 11).
A rubric will be attached to the assessment. The Learning Facilitator will provide feedback via the Grade Centre in the LMS portal. Feedback can be viewed in My Grades.
Video Submission Instructions for online students:
(1) Creating your video presentation
· Create a short video presentation, length: 5 minutes
o Be specific and clear, as you will be assessed on originality and authenticity
o Students are expected to be dressed and groomed professionally
· Your presentation must be in video format (mp4, MOV, etc.) for uploading into Blackboard (refer to the link below)
(2) Uploading your video presentation
· Detailed instructions on compressing (if necessary) and uploading video presentation is available at https://laureate-au.blackboard.com/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?courseid=40441&cont entid=3876291&mode=reset
· Submit the recorded video via the Assessment 3 link in the main navigation menu in MGT502 Business Communication.
· After uploading your video presentation, retain a copy in a safe place.
· The Learning Facilitator will provide feedback via the Grade Centre in the LMS portal.
· Feedback can be viewed in My Grades.
Your presentation will be marked against the rubric shown on the next two pages. Please ensure that your submission addresses all three of the Assessment Attributes in the rubric.
Attributes Fail (Unacceptable)
75 -84% High Distinction
Knowledge and understanding (technical and theoretical knowledge)
Percentage for this criterion
25 % Limited understanding of required concepts and knowledge
Key components of the assignment are not addressed. Knowledge or
understanding of the field or discipline.
Resembles a recall or summary of key ideas.
Often confuses assertion of personal opinion with information substantiated by evidence from the research/course materials. Thorough knowledge or understanding of the field or discipline/s. Supports personal opinion and information substantiated by evidence from the research/course materials.
Demonstrates a capacity to explain and apply relevant concepts. Highly developed
understanding of the field or discipline/s.
Discriminates between assertion of personal opinion and information substantiated by robust evidence from the research/course materials and extended reading.
Well demonstrated capacity to explain and apply relevant concepts. A sophisticated
understanding of the field or discipline/s.
Systematically and critically discriminates between assertion of personal opinion and information substantiated by robust evidence from the research/course materials and extended reading.
Mastery of concepts and application to new situations/further learning.
Analysis and application with synthesis of new knowledge
Percentage for this criterion
25 % Limited synthesis and analysis.
application/recommendati ons based upon analysis. Demonstrated analysis and synthesis of new knowledge with application.
Shows the ability to interpret relevant information and literature. Well-developed analysis and synthesis with application of recommendations linked to analysis/synthesis. Thoroughly developed and creative analysis and synthesis as well as justified recommendations linked to analysis/synthesis. Highly sophisticated and creative analysis, synthesis of new with existing knowledge.
Recommendations are clearly justified based on the analysis/synthesis. Applying knowledge to new situations/other cases.
MGT502_Assessment_3_Brief_Presentation_Module 6.1 Page 4 of 5
Difficult to understand for Information, arguments and Information, arguments and Information, arguments and Expertly presented; the
Effective audience, no logical/clear evidence are presented in a evidence are well presented, evidence are very well presentation is logical,
Communication structure, poor flow of way that is not always clear mostly clear flow of ideas and presented; the presentation persuasive, and well
ideas, argument lacks supporting evidence. and logical.
Line of reasoning is often arguments.
Line of reasoning is easy to is logical, clear and well supported by evidence. supported by evidence, demonstrating a clear flow of ideas and arguments.
Percentage for this Audience cannot follow difficult to follow. follow. Demonstrates analytical
50 % the line of reasoning. skills. Engages and sustains audience’s interest in the topic, demonstrates high levels of insight and analytical skills.
Effective use of diverse presentation aids, including graphics and multi-media.
MGT502_Assessment_3_Brief_Presentation_Module 6.1 Page 5 of 5