HI5003 T1 2020 Economics for Business
HI5003 Economics for Business T1 2020 Assignment
|Group Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines|
|Unit Title||Economics for Business|
|Purpose of the assessment (with ULO Mapping)||Students are required to work in groups to choose an industry/Sector of their choice. While working in a specific group, students are required to apply their knowledge learned in the course unit to write an industry/sector report (Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 5). See Assignment Specifications for detailed requirements|
|ASSESSMENT TYPE/Title||WEIGHT||LEARNING OUTCOMES||Word Limit||Due date|
|Report 1 and use of the blog||Group Mark/ Individual Mark||10%||1,2,3,4,5||1000||See Guidelines below|
|Group Presentation||Individual mark||10%||1, 2, 3, 5||Max. 12 slides||See Guidelines below|
|Written Final submission (Group marks)||Group mark||20%||1, 2, 3, 5||2500||See Guidelines below|
|Total||40%||1,2,3,4,5||See Guidelines below|
|Specific group formation, presentation and submission guidelines|
|General instruction||Organize yourselves into groups of 4 students. Penalties apply.Adhere to specific due dates for each task requirement related to Group: formation, Report 1 & use of the blog, presentation and final report submissionSpecifically, adhere to instructions of your Lecturer regarding:Report 1 & use of the blogGroups formationGroups presentationsFinal submission|
|Specific Group Formation instruction||Your Lecturer will assign each group a specific industry/sector selected from Page 4 Australia Sector/Industry list. Give your group details to your lecturer(s):Normal Mode: No later than Week 5Block Mode 1: Week 1Block Mode 2: Week 6All group names must be reflected in the Black Board:Normal mode: By the end of Week 5Block Mode 1: Week 2Block Mode 2: Week 7|
|Check the Black Board to confirm that your name is included in the specific group of your choice.Two groups shall not conduct research related to one sector/industry unless as determined by you Lecturer|
|Report 1 (10 marks)||Your group has to follow the assessment requirement below for Report 1: Content to include (5Marks-Group mark):Brief introduction about the industry/ sectorMarket structure description;demand and supply,Conclusion.Use of the blog (3 marks-Individual student mark)Use the blog to discuss issues related to your research work.Each student is required to post in the blog the research carried out in regard to the section they are handling.Other students are then required to comment on the submission of the memberStudents who do not use the blog will be marked zero for the blog section. In this way, there will be variation in marks depending on use of the blog.Therefore, if you do not use the blog the mark will be 0/3 for the blog section c. Use lecture material and recommended textbook (2 marks-Group mark) Note* Your Group has to follow the requirements outlined to get marks for the report. Marking criteria *Marks score depends on individual student effort related to use of the blog|
|Group Presentations (10 marks)||Group presentations should be conducted as follows:Block Mode 1: Week 4-5Block Mode 2 and Normal Mode: Week 9-10Group presentation will be conducted by the physical presence of all group members or via video presentation as will be determined by your Lecturer. Marks score depends on individual student effort:Content (4 marks-General mark for the Group)Presentation skills (6 Marks-Individual Group Member mark)Group PPT Presentations not exceeding 12 slides|
|Submission Guidelines (20 marks)||All work must be submitted on Blackboard by the respective due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page: Report 1 submission Due dates:Block Mode 1: Week-4, Mid-night Monday April 13, 2020Block Mode 2 and Normal Mode: Week-8, Mid-night Friday May 15, 2020.Group presentation PPT submission Due dates Block Mode 1: Week-5, Mid-night Friday April 24, 2020Block Mode 2 and Normal Mode: Week-11, Mid-night Friday June 1, 2020.Final industry research submissionDue dates:Block Mode 1: Week-6, Mid night Monday April 27, 2020Block Mode 2 and Normal Mode: Week-11, Mid night Monday June 3, 2020|
- Final submission research paper on you sector or industry should not exceed 2500 words
- The assignment must be in MS Word format, single spacing, 12-pt Arial font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of the page with appropriate section headings and page numbers.
- Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using Harvard referencing style.
d. Penalties apply for late submissions.
- All students are required to participate equitably in the group assignment and that students are responsible for the academic integrity of all components of the assignment. You need to complete the following table which identifies which student/students are responsible for the various sections of the assignment
This table needs to be completed and submitted with the assignment as it is a compulsory component required before any grading is undertaken.
This assignment aims to enhance students’ research and analytical ability through the application of their
economics knowledge learned in the course unit to compose a company report.
The recommended assignment structure for final submission is as follows:
Note*: The structure content is not limited to the items listed above. Creativity for a better report structure
is a key requirement.
Detailed requirements of the assignment
You are a
group of advisors to the Management Board in your company with Headquarters in
Australia. As advisors you are first, required to conduct research on your
selected sector/industry covering the previous 5- 10 years. Second, you are
required to present a company strategy to your Management Board covering the
next 5 years. Third, your Management Board requires that you make a presentation of your findings and strategies, and you prepare a 2,500 word market report. The market report should, as a minimum, address the following key issues:
- A description of your company and the industry your company
- An analysis of the market structure the industry
- A discussion about the demand and supply conditions for your product(s) or service(s).
- A discussion about the demand elasticity for your product(s) or service(s)
- An analysis of a recent event that has (or is likely to have) substantial impacts on your industry/sector.
Note: if your company has many products and/or services, you can select a representative product/service to discuss for points (2); (3); (4); and (5).
This report should provide useful information for your company’s Management Board. It should use a variety of resources, including the textbook, newspapers, industry reports, the ABS website, and other sources.
Furthermore, your report should include headings and sub-headings. It needs to be properly referenced using the Harvard style and at least 5 references.
Australia sector/ industry selection distribution
- Accommodation and Food Services
- Agriculture sector
- Aviation Industry
- Banking and superannuation services
- Construction services
- Education and Training services
- Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services
- Energy Utilities Industry
- Financial and Insurance Service
- Health Care and Social Assistance
- Healthcare services
- Information Media and Telecommunications
- Labour industry
- Leisure and hospitality
- Manufacturing sector
- Media and Entertainment
- Metals and Mining Industry
- Postal and Warehousing Professional
- Property market, Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services
- Public Transport
- Retail and consumer goods business
- Scientific, Technical Services and Architectural services
- Services industry
To be eligible to pass this unit, you must complete all forms of assessment and demonstrate achievement of the learning outcomes. All assignments must be submitted electronically ONLY using a word processor, uploaded to Blackboard via the Final Check and Submission of SafeAssign.
Submission deadlines are strictly enforced and a late submission incurs penalties of 5 (five) % of the assessment value per calendar day unless an extension and/or special consideration has been granted by the lecturer prior to the assessment deadline. Unless an extension and/or special consideration has been granted, no assessments are accepted after 14 calendar days of the due date, or the end of the trimester for assessments due later in a trimester. Students need to allow up to 24 hours for the Final Check of their assignment submission to SafeAssign to be available.
An effective way for students to learn economics is through participation in a Group Assessment Project. This
project is designed to accomplish effective learning.
During the course of the semester, each of the elements of your Group Assessment, will be reviewed by your Lecturer. The lecturer is encouraged to review each submission and suggest areas for improvement where appropriate, for more detailed study, or if acceptable to allow the students to proceed to the next phase in development. At the end of the semester, each group is to present their entire Group Assessment in class or via Video in class as will be determined by your Lecturer to the class.
File Exchange tool:
- All the academic papers that are used in the assignment need to be posted on BB by using File Exchange tool (Instruction in page 5, for further questions and advice, refer to your lecturer). Student needs to highlight the discussion in the academic paper which is relevant to the discussion in the assignment. Academic papers can be found in ProQuest (ProQuest instruction can be found in page 5 and 6. Please refer to the Librarian if you have further question). Assignment will be marked ZERO if does not include references list
- Group needs to submit the Draft for their assignment by using File Exchange tool one week before the due date of final submission. The draft needs to be different from the last submission and reflect the changes.
- If each member will do a part of the assignment, their work needs to be submitted by using File Exchange also.
- Presentation slides will be posted by using File Exchange tool.
- All the discussion about group assignment needs to be recorded by using Group Blog tool (Instruction in page 5, for further question, please advise your lecturer). The discussion must relevant to the content of the assignment and reflects the outcome of the group meeting.
If one of the requirement above is not followed, the group assignment will be marked ZERO
How to do group assignment – Instruction Group tools
Your instructor chooses which
communication and collaboration tools are available to your group. If you want
to use a tool but don’t find on your group’s page, ask your instructor to
|File Exchange||Group members and instructors can share files in this area. All members can add and delete files, regardless of who added them.|
|Group Blog||In the group area, all members of a group can create entries for the same blog and build on each entry. All course members can read and comment on a group blog, but they can’t make posts unless they are members of the group. Instructors can choose to grade group blogs. All group members receive the same grade.|
|Group Journal||In the group area, all members of a group can view each other’s entries. Only group members and instructors can view a group journal. Instructors can choose to grade group journals. All group members receive the same grade.|
|Send Email||Group members can email individual members or the entire group.|
Exchange files with a group
With file exchange, you can share files with other members of your group, including your instructor.
You can’t create folders in file exchange. With your group, decide how you want to name files so that they are easier to locate in a long list.
Add a file to the file exchange
Group Tools > File Exchange > Add File
Add a name for the file you want to upload. Browse for the file and submit. Delete a file from the file exchange
You can delete any file, even if you didn’t upload it. On the File Exchange page, select Delete in the file’s menu.
All the group members can discuss about the assignment by using Group Blog. Once you are allocated in a group, you can see this function.
Group > Group Tools > Group Blog > Create Blog Entry
Go to: http://www.holmes.edu.au/ > Login > Proquest USERNAME: holmes2004