Please post your answers on Blackboard>>Discussion board by the due date. You will be marked on the quality and timeliness of your answers.
Due: Friday 5pm, week 3
Covers Lecture 1 and 2
1. ‘An information system consists of hardware and software.’ Why is this statement
2. What is a problem? Give an example of a business problem and discuss how a computer based
information system could solve it.
3. Can an off-the-shelf computer program be used as a Strategic Information System?
4. A Strategic Information System often offers a corporation short-lived advantages. How so?
5. Adobe encourages PC users to download its Acrobat Reader and Flash Player free of charge.
How does this eventually help Adobe strategically? If they give the application away, how
does their generosity help them make money?
Due: Friday 5pm, Week 5
Covers lecture 3 and 4
1. What are the advantages of agile methods over waterfall development methods, such as
the traditional SDLC? What are the risks?
2. What are the benefits and risks of outsourcing IT services?
3. Do you think the development of information systems by end users should be
encouraged? Do the benefits of the practice outweigh its risks?
4. What is a supply chain? What is the purpose of Supply Chain Management systems?
5. What is RFID, and what roles does it play in SCM?
Due: Friday 5pm, week 7
Covers lecture 5 and 6
1. You have decided to buy parts and build your own personal computer. At the minimum,
what are the components that you would need for this device to be considered a computer?
2. What are the most important features to consider before purchasing a PC?
3. Explain the notions of WAN, LAN, MAN and PAN.
4. What are the technical advantages of optical fibres over other communications media?
5. Wi-Fi is all around us. Is there any downside to its pervasiveness?
Due: Friday 5pm, Week 9
Covers: lecture 7 and 8
1. Spreadsheets have become quite powerful for data management. What can be done with
database management systems that cannot be done with spreadsheet applications? Give 2
2. What does it mean to cleanse data before it is stored in a data warehouse?
3. What is a data warehouse? How is it different from a transactional database?
4. What is blogging, and what potential does it have for businesses?
5. What is an intranet and what purposes does it serve? What is an extranet, and what purpose
does it serve?
Due: Friday 5pm, Week 10
Covers: lecture 9 and 10
1. What is meant by the term ‘global information systems’?
2. The European Union has stricter privacy laws than the United States, and not many US
companies are willing to comply with the EU Directive on Data Protection. How would
you resolve the conflict?
3. Decision Support Systems use models to process data. Explain what a model is. Give two
4. What is a sensitivity test? Give two example.
5. How could you use a Geographic information System to schedule your classes? Give an