FINA600 Assessment 2 Financial Management
FINA600 Financial Management Assessment 2
|ASSESSMENT 2 BRIEF|
|Subject Code and Title||FINA600 Financial Management|
|Assessment||Case Study Report|
|Length||Up to 3000 words|
|Learning Outcomes||This assessment addresses the following subject learning outcomes: Apply the key theories and principles of financial management within varying contexts.Critically evaluate the role and content of each of the four main financial statements as sources of quantitative data, and their impact on business decision making.Investigate and evaluate the range of issues involved in the different types of funding. Understand and evaluate budgets and their impact on long and short-term business decisions.Critically analyse financial statements using effective strategies and apply accountancy information for informed managerial decision-making.|
|Submission||By 11:59 pm AEST/AEDT Sunday of week 11 (Module 6)|
|Total Marks||50 marks|
The purpose of the assignment is to provide you with the opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills acquired in FINA600 Financial Management, to a practical task,
involving the use of ‘real‐world’ accounting information. This is intended to consolidate your accounting knowledge and skills.
The basic requirement is to undertake a general financial analysis, comparing financial position and performance over the two most recent financial years, of an ASX listed company.
The annual report for the chosen
company should be available on the company
Note: You are to use the ‘consolidated’ data in conducting your analysis.
The analysis should consider each of the following financial ratios:
- profitability and market performance
- capital structure
Note: You are only required to look at the most recent financial report. For those ratios which involve averages, you will calculate an average for the most recent year only, the prior year ratio calculation will NOT consider average calculations.
This assignment will contain two elements:
1. Schedule(s) of relevant ratios and other useful calculations
- The detailed calculation of relevant ratios
and other useful
calculations should be included, as one appendix, prepared using Excel.
An example template is provided under the assessment 2 information, FINA6017 appendix layout – Blank.xls.
- You will be advised by your facilitator as to which ratios to calculate.
- You are advised to show the formulae used in determining particular ratios and other figures.
2. A written report
The written report is the main element of this assessment. A sample template is provided under the assessment 2 information, FINA6017 Assignment Suggested Layout – Blank.doc.
The written report should:
- Explain what is revealed by the ratios
and other calculations, in the context
of the company’s profitability, asset efficiency, liquidity, capital structure,
and market performance.
- In particular, any important changes over the two financial years should be identified, discussed and, where possible, explained.
- Provide an overall assessment of whether the company, over the recent financial year, has been better than the previous financial year, in the perspective of existing equity investors (shareholders).
In preparing this report, you should:
- analyse the financial statements of the business;
- identify key ratios and apply ratio analysis;
- argue the case of why the organisation may or may not succeed in the future and what the business should be doing to help it succeed;
- consider the impact of the political and competitive environment on the business;
- discuss relevant ethical
considerations when an organisation becomes
- include external factors that need to be taken into consideration and the likelihood of a merger or acquisition;
- provide a recommendation, that is, would you invest in this company after your own analysis or under what circumstances would you buy/save the business?
The assignment is to comply with the University’s General Guide for the Presentation of Academic Work. Please see more information here: https://laureate- au.blackboard.com/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_20163_1&co ntent_id=_2498849_1
Points to consider
- You are encouraged to seek and use additional public information about the company from sources, other than the annual report (for example, the internet, journal articles, newspapers, and business magazines).
- However, it is NOT envisaged that you will be engaged in extensive research of this nature and it is expected that the annual report will be the primary resource relied upon, in completing the assignment.
- You are asked NOT to try and make direct personal contact with the company or its officers (for example by telephone, fax, letter or email), in an attempt to gather further information.
- It is important to note that you must NOT reproduce company promotional material from the annual report or company website and represent it as critical analysis.
- You will be provided relevant share price data by your facilitator for the company so that investment ratios (such as a price earnings ratio) can be calculated.
- You may find it useful to consult accounting references, in addition to the prescribed text, which deals with the analysis and interpretation of company financial reports.
- It is essential that you use the appropriate APA 6th referencing style, for citing and referencing research. Please see more information on referencing here: http://library.laureate.net.au/research_skills/referencing
As this is a Masters-level subject, students are expected to engage with high quality academic journal articles, using the Torrens University Library: http://library.laureate.net.au.
Textbooks, Wikipedia and, in general, anything that can be obtained through an open Google search page, are considered supplementary materials, unbecoming of a postgraduate.
Submit the assessment via the Assessment link, in the main navigation menu, in FIN600, by the end of week 11.
Check latest posts
- HI5013 T1 2020 Managing Across Borders
- MGT610 Organisational Best Practice Part B
- MGT610 Organisational Best Practice Part A
- COIT20245 Assignment 1 CQU
- MIS602 Data Modelling & Database Design
- MNG03048 Assignment 1 Quantitative Research Methods
- HI5004 T1 2020 Marketing Management
- HI6006 T1 2020 Competitive Strategy
- HI5020 T1 2020 Corporate Accounting
- HI5019 T1 2020 Strategic Information Systems for Business and Enterprise
- HI5002 T1 2020 Finance for Business
- HI6025 T1 2020 Accounting Theory and Current Issues
- HI6005 T1 2020 Management and Organisations in a Global Environment
- HI5014 T1 2020 International Business Across Borders
- HI5003 T1 2020 Economics for Business
- HI6008 T1 2020 Business Research Project
- MGT501 Assessment 2 Business environment
- ECO511 Assignment 3 Economics for Business
- LAW514 COMMERCIAL LAW WRITTEN MINI RESEARCH ESSAY