ENG 110: ACADEMIC WRITING/APA FOR UNDERGRADUATES
LESSON 3 – CORRECT APA ERRORS ON A TITLE PAGE AND REFERENCES
1. What is incorrect in this title page of a case study paper? Why is it not in APA 7th ed.?
Running head: A REVIEW OF PROFIT AND LOSS IN CORPORATIONS
A Review of Profit and Loss in Corporations
BUS 540: …
Dr. N. Eckhardt
Feb 5th, 2020
a.The page number in the top right hand corner; the shortened title is in bold.
b. “Running head: …” is included in the header; the month is abbreviated.
c. “Running head: …” is included in the header; the title is not in bold; the class name is not included; the month is abbreviated.
d. “Running head: …” is included in the header; the professor’s name is incorrect.
2. Review the list of References in APA 7th ed. style and answer the following questions:
Brown, L.S. (2018). Feminist therapy (2nd ed.). American Psychological Association.
Ewing-Chow, D. (2019, August 26). Moving From Corporate Social Responsibility to Social
Purpose: The New Business Of Food. Forbes.
Frynas, J. (2009). Beyond Corporate Social Responsibility: Oil Multinationals and Social
Challenges. Cambridge University Press.
Hartman, L. P., DesJardins, J. R., & MacDonald, C. (2014). Business Ethics: Decision
Making for Personal Integrity And Social Responsibility (3rd ed.). McGraw-Hill.
McCauley, S. M., & Christiansen, M.H. (2019). Language learning as language use: a cross-
linguistic model of child language development. Psychological Review, 126(1), 1-51.
- What type of references are Brown, L.S., (2018) and Frynas, J. (2009)?
- Brown is an article; Frynas, J. is a book by an individual author (in print form)
- Brown is a book with a doi (digital object identifier); Frynas, J. is a newspaper article by an individual author
- Brown is a book with a doi (digital object identifier); Frynas, J. is a book by an individual author (in print form)
- Brown is a book by an individual author; Frynas, J. is a newspaper article by an individual author
- What type of reference is McCauley, S. M., & Christiansen, M.H. (2019)?
a. An online newspaper article with a doi.
b. An online journal article with a doi.
c. An online TV show with a doi.
d. An online social media page with a doi.
3. What is incorrect about the following reference?
Erickson, Erik H. (1968). Identity: Youth and Crisis. New York: W.W. Norton and Co.
- The publisher location is included.
- The publisher’s name is included.
- The author’s first name is included when only his first initials are required.
- Both a. and c.
4. What is removed from the header in the title page of a case study paper?
a. The page number in the top right hand corner
b. The shortened title of the class paper
c. The words “Running head: …”
d. The words “Running header: …”
5. Identify the errors in the following reference:
Utay., and Miller, M. (2006). Guided imagery as an effective therapeutic technique: A brief
review of its history and efficacy research. Journal of Instructional Psychology, 33(1), 40-43.
a. Journal article name and number are not italicized; Utay’s first initial is missing.
b. Journal article title is not italicized; Utay’s first initial is missing.
c. Utay’s first initial is missing.
d. Utay’s first initial is missing; Journal name is not italicized.
6. Is the following reference correctly formatted per APA 7th ed.? Identify the type of reference.
Sinclair, Helen, & Fawcett, Josephine (1991). Altschul’s Psychology For Nurses (7th ed.).
London: Baillere Tindall
- True; Both the publisher location and name are included in this magazine.
- False: The publisher location is not included only the name of the publisher in this book.
7. Is the following reference correctly formatted per APA 7th ed.? Identify reference type.
Zahn-Waxler, Carolyn (1996). Environment, biology, and culture: Implications for adolescent development. Development Psychology, 32, 571-573. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1622.214.171.1241
- Yes, author’s first name is included; Journal edition is not in italics
- No, author’s last name is included; Journal edition is not in italics
- No, the author’s first name should be the first initial only; Journal edition needs to be in italics. The journal volume is missing; indent the second line by half an inch from left margin; it’s an online journal with a doi.
3440 WILSHIRE BLVD, SUITE 1000 | LOS ANGELES, CA 90010 | TEL:213.262.3939 | FAX: 213.262.5758 | WWW.IAU.LA