COIT20251 Knowledge Audit for business analysis Assignment 2 CQU
COIT20251 Assessment 2 e-Portfolio
Due Date: Week 8 Friday (10 May 19) 11.59 pm AEST
Word Limit: 2,500 words
• Understand the need for appropriate knowledge audit plan
• Develop an understanding in knowledge capture, and knowledge codification
• Learn to understand business context and document business processes
• Develop skills in the use of appropriate modelling tools to interpret and analyse the business context for enterprise systems
Learning Outcomes Assessed
Devise an appropriate and comprehensive knowledge audit plan to support business analysis requirements.
Use appropriate modelling tools to present the identified knowledge assets and knowledge capabilities within the business context of enterprise systems, as interpreted and analysed through knowledge audits.
Critically review knowledge management approaches to the implementation of enterprise systems within an organisation and any issues that may arise.
Appraise the ethical and professional issues relevant to a business analyst working with knowledge-based enterprise systems.
In this assessment, you will first of all go through the scenario below.
Lois Gardens (LG) is a new Sydney company selling and distributing garden tools and materials with stock obtained from different local suppliers, specialised in attractive, useful and popular items for mostly home users and also commercial users. LG has experienced business growth over the last two years. Currently, all the business administrative and management activities such as sales, marketing, warehousing, purchasing, staff payroll and customer service are carried out with little use of information and communication technology (ICT). The administrative staff notice its importance but finds it hard to market products online, when a similar business started to do so. Presently, an individual price tag is put on each product for sales on the shelves along all isles. A customer needs help to locate products. Too much time is taken for the service staff members to help customers with their requests. When a product is sold, it is recorded on the portfolio roll at the sales terminal, as well as a receipt printed for the customer. Stocktaking and reorder is done manually by checking items remaining on the
shelves and recording items to be ordered. If customers want to know the availability of an item, they have to come to the store or ring and talk to a customer service staff.
The owners seriously consider the need for staying competitive in time of their business growth in order to effectively retain their regular and new customers. This requires effective use and management of IT. They need an effective technological solution to solve their problems, so that they can provide quality services and sustain their business.
Analyse the above scenario, identifying and reporting on the following areas:
1. As a Business Analyst (BA), perform a business knowledge audit particularly about the functional units, jobs and roles (who, why, how, what, where and when) for the provided scenario. Provide a brief statement of the problem and business case from the perspective of a BA.
2. Identify the information to be collected from people with each functional unit’s job knowledge and roles, and include knowledge sources for such information (stakeholder analysis).
3. Document the business context, the main business processes with functional relation between processes, and justify the appropriateness of any useful cited diagram or your own developed diagram using a modelling tool.
4. Conclude your findings.
You will have to create an e-portfolio using a software tool named Mahara. You need to make it private with a secret URL, as it will be requested during the marking process.
You can progressively work on your portfolio creating an e-portfolio and entering your responses.
You will need knowledge from the required topics covered in Weeks 4 – 7. You should complete the readings suggested in weekly sections provided in the unit Moodle website for these weeks progressively and attempt different parts of your assessment.
Use other references outside of the suggested readings from credible resources to support your presented ideas and strengthen your explanations.
Organisation of e-portfolio
Develop ONE Mahara webpage (i.e. whatever directly visible will be marked). Please NEVER attempt to use ‘Tab’s or ‘Hyperlink’s (not fit for marking). Organise your e- portfolio in a way that the single webpage contains all your answers under visible listed headings with their contents as instructed below:
1. An introduction
• Introduce the background and business problem, and the contents of the portfolio.
2. Business case
• State the business problem, opportunity for improvement and a business solution applying ICT in your role of a business analyst.
3. Stakeholder analysis
• Provide the required knowledge source and data collection
• Identify clearly all the stakeholders and the knowledge sources. Include documents showing the knowledge sources and their related stakeholders from the data collection.
4. Business context
• Describe the business context for a system solution for the business problem identified. Use diagrams as necessary.
5. Business processes
• Identify and document the business processes which become part of the system. Use diagrams as necessary.
All Submissions Must Follow Strict Guidelines
This assessment item must strictly follow the guidelines below:
• For this assessment item, you will initially prepare an e-portfolio with all needed entries (i.e. your answer to each task item is an e-portfolio entry) using the software tool Mahara.
• Your e-portfolio must have the top line on your Mahara webpage indicating your student names, student ID and date last modified, e.g., John Smith, 1234567, Last modified 15 Mar 2019.
• All contents of your e-portfolio must be produced on a single Mahara web page, i.e. surely without any use of tabs, embedded URL links and words/images with hyperlinks in all the entries. Any variations means your marker will only mark whatever he/she can see at the time of marking. Strictly follow these guidelines so you do not loose marks.
• To prepare work for submission, right click on your Mahara web page content and select Print, which will generate a PDF file for your submission. For the PDF file name, you need to re-name it into ‘A2_EPortfolio_YourID_YourName’ for submission.
• You need to upload this PDF file generated from your Mahara for your online submission. Ensure that this PDF file is NOT an image-only file or a corrupted file, so it can be safely checked through by Turnitin upon a submission.
• For any submission file that cannot be safely checked through Turnitin upon a submission, i.e. flagged as ‘Resubmit to Turnitin’ or shown as without a similarity report generated to help the teaching team for marking purposes, a ZERO mark will be awarded right away.
• This assignment must be submitted by strictly following all the related prescribed guidelines. Otherwise, you will receive a ZERO mark.
A submission not having carefully followed all the guidelines above will be awarded a ZERO mark outright.
Use either the Harvard Year Date referencing style or APA referencing style.
An Abridged Guide to the Harvard Referencing Style is available through the link:
An Abridged Guide to the APA Style is available through the link: