COIT20251 Audit for business analysis Assignment 1 e-Journal
COIT20251 Assessment 1 e-Journal
Due Date: Week 5 Friday (12 April 2019) 11.59 pm AEST
Word Limit: 2,500 words Objectives
• Understand the core competencies of a Business Analyst
• Understand the skills that should be developed
• Identify the need for external and internal environment analysis
• Explore tools and techniques for requirements elicitation and reporting
Learning Outcomes Assessed
Devise an appropriate and comprehensive knowledge audit plan to support business
Use appropriate modelling tools to present the identified knowledge assets and
knowledge capabilities within the business context of enterprise systems, as interpreted
and analysed through knowledge audits.
Critically review knowledge management approaches to the implementation of
enterprise systems within an organisation and any issues that may arise.
Appraise the ethical and professional issues relevant to a business analyst working with
knowledge-based enterprise systems.
This assessment task is also designed to assess your ability to develop the required graduate
attributes of knowledge, communication skills, cognitive skills, technical skills, creative skills,
research, self-management, ethical behaviours and professional responsibility, stipulated in the
unit profile. Therefore, you should
• reflect on the topics you read
• research and get additional readings as required
• write clearly using correct grammar, structure, and formatting
• follow the requirements and submit in time
• avoid plagiarism
Mahara keeps track of work each postgraduate student performs in various units. Upon
graduation, a student can easily export all such assessment contents showcasing achievement
work for future use.
In this assessment, you have to create an e-journal using a software tool named Mahara. You
need to hit the Mahara printer image at the bottom of your Mahara webpage to obtain a PDFfile
for submission and marking purposes. When printing a collection from your Mahara webpage
to a PDF file, Mahara may append a very long site name together with ‘Central Queensland
University’ to the collection name, please override such PDF name with ‘A1_StdID_StdName’
From the related weekly sections provided in the unit Moodle website, complete readings in
the weekly sections Week 1 and Week 2 for tasks 1, 2, 3 and 4, and Week 3 and Week 4 for
topics 5, 6 and 7. Complete the readings suggested for these 7 tasks as outlined below, before
developing your journal entry in each related week into your e-journal in Mahara. In your
reading, you need to analyse the issues involved. Try to jot down key points when reading
through a concept. Using your learned concepts, your prior knowledge and related work
experience, write down what you have found as missing or doubtful in the topic discussions,
e.g. which idea discussed in a specific topic reading was not OK or is currently weak that needs
improvement in your opinion. You also write why, what and how you see it needs to improve,
when going through each reading.
1. The core competencies (according to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge
(BABOK) that a business analyst should have;
2. The critical skills that organisations need a business analyst to possess in order to
successfully design and develop a new technology or for technological redevelopment;
3. The models that can be used for strategy formulation analysing the external and internal
4. The relationship between organisational strategy and knowledge audit plan;
5. Leadership and team building skills required by a Business Analyst;
6. Key processes involved in understanding the business context; and
7. Briefly describe the suitability and appropriateness of four of the investigation
techniques in requirement elicitation.
Organisation of e-journal
Develop ONE Mahara webpage (i.e. whatever directly visible will be marked). The single
webpage must contain all your answers (as different entries) for 7 different topics.
Please NEVER attempt to use ‘Tab’s or ‘Hyperlink’s (not fit for marking). Organise your ejournal
in a way that for each topic heading is clearly presented and you present visible subheadings
as synopsis, reflection, and critique. For each sub-heading, do as instructed below:
a. Synopsis: Here you provide a summary of each topic in a journal entry.
b. Reflection: You display your deeper understanding of each of the topics. Please link the
topics as they logically follow in the business analysis process. Compare and identify
the differences. Show your in-depth understanding of each topic. Use examples or cases
to explain your points further. Explain as logical-thinking discussions which you may
or may not refer to your examples or cases.
c. Critique: Here you critically analyse the practical application of the knowledge and
understanding that you have gained in the professional practice of a Business Analyst
or yourself. Discuss what is lacking, what is not good enough, and ways to improve
them. Explain why one or more topics in a reading needs to be questioned.
All Submissions Must Follow Strict Guidelines
This assessment item must strictly follow the guidelines below:
• For this assessment item, you will initially prepare an e-journal with all needed journal
entries (i.e. your answer to each task item is a journal entry) using the software tool
• Your e-journal must have the top line on your Mahara webpage indicating your
student names, student ID and date last modified, e.g., John Smith, 1234567, Last
modified 15 Mar 2019.
• All contents of your e-journal must be produced on a single Mahara webpage, i.e.
without any use of tabs, embedded URL links and words/images with hyperlinks in all
the entries. Any variations means your marker will only mark whatever he/she can see
at the time of marking. Strictly follow these guidelines so you do not loose marks.
• To prepare work for submission, right click on your Mahara web page content and
select Print, which will generate a PDF file for your submission. For the PDF file name,
you need to re-name it into ‘A1_EJournal_YourID_YourName’ for submission.
• You need to upload this PDF file generated from your Mahara for your online
submission. Ensure that this PDF file is NOT an image-only file or a corrupted file, so
it can be safely checked through by Turnitin upon a submission.
• For any submission file that cannot be safely checked through Turnitin upon a
submission, i.e. flagged as ‘Resubmit to Turnitin’ or shown as without a similarity
report generated to help the teaching team for marking purposes, a ZERO mark will
be awarded right away.
• This assignment must be submitted by strictly following all the related prescribed
guidelines. Otherwise, you will receive a ZERO mark.
A submission not having carefully followed all the guidelines above will be awarded a ZERO
Use either the Harvard Year Date referencing style or APA referencing style.
An Abridged Guide to the Harvard Referencing Style is available through the link:
An Abridged Guide to the APA Style is available through the link: