bsbwor502b assessment answers
BSBWOR502 Assessment Workbook | BSBWOR502 Assignment Help
- BSBWOR502 Assessment answers
Assessment Workbook: BSBWOR502
Lead and manage effective teams
|3.5||10/08/2016||Training||Updated content and changed title from Assessment Guide to Assessment Workbook|
|4.1||3/08/2018||Training||Policy & procedure template added to resources|
|4.2||05/08/2018||Training||Update to the Case study including use of a template|
This guide, together with the Assessment Activity forms the assessment tools for:
|Unit code||Title||Training Package|
|BSBWOR502||Lead and manage effective teams||Business Services Training Package|
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to lead teams in the workplace and to actively engage with the management of the organisation.
It applies to individuals working at a managerial level who facilitate work teams and build a positive culture within their work teams. At this level, work will normally be carried out using complex and diverse methods and procedures requiring the exercise of considerable discretion and judgement, using a range of problem solving and decision making strategies.
Elements and Performance Criteria
1.0 Establish team performance plan
- Consult team members to establish a common understanding of team purpose, roles, responsibilities and accountabilities in accordance with organisational goals, plans and objectives
- Develop performance plans to establish expected outcomes, outputs, key performance indicators (KPIs) and goals for work team
- Support team members in meeting expected performance outcomes
2.0 Develop and facilitate team cohesion
- Develop strategies to ensure team members have input into planning, decision making and operational aspects of work team
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure team members take responsibility for own work and assist others to undertake required roles and responsibilities
- Provide feedback to team members to encourage, value and reward individual and team efforts and contributions
- Develop processes to ensure that issues, concerns and problems identified by team members are recognised and addressed
3.0 Facilitate teamwork
- Encourage team members and individuals to participate in and to take responsibility for team activities, including communication processes
- Support the team in identifying and resolving work performance problems
- Ensure own contribution to work team serves as a role model for others and enhances the organisation’s image for all stakeholders
4.0 Liaise with stakeholders
- Establish and maintain open communication processes with all stakeholders
- Communicate information from line manager/management to the team
- Communicate unresolved issues, concerns and problems raised by team members and follow-up with line manager/management and other relevant stakeholders
- Evaluate and take necessary corrective action regarding unresolved issues, concerns and problems raised by internal or external stakeholders
Appeals and reassessment
If you disagree with the assessment decision and result, you have the right to appeal and be reassessed if necessary. Details of the appeals process is contained in the Complaints and Appeals Policy & Procedure, provided to you prior to enrolment. See Complaints and Appeals Policy & Procedure for more details.
While cooperative effort and the sharing of information are encouraged, you must ensure your assignments and assessments are representative of your own effort, knowledge and skills. You must not take the work of others and present it as your own. Plagiarism may result in the assignment/assessment being deemed to be “not yet competent” by the assessor.
Students accused more than once of academic misconduct, including plagiarism, may be dismissed or cancelled from their course at the discretion of the National Training Manager.
Plagiarism can take several forms;
- Quoting from a book or an article without acknowledging the source
- Handing in someone else’s work as your own
- Stealing and passing off another person’s words or ideas and claiming them as your own
- Giving incorrect information about the source of a quotation or idea
- Downloading information from the internet without acknowledging the source
- Copying a section of a book or article and submitting it as one’s own work
- Presenting as a new and original idea or produce something which was derived from an existing source
National Training prefers that students utilises Harvard Style referencing. Generally, Harvard Reference List citations follow this format:
Books: Last name, First Initial. (Year published). Title. City: Publisher, Page(s).
Journals/publication: Last name, First initial. (Year published). Article title. Journal, Volume (Issue), Page(s).
Websites: Website name, (Year published). Page title. [Online] Available at: URL [Accessed Day Mo. Year].
Understanding your results
The great thing with competency based training is that you either deemed ‘competent’ (you can demonstrate the required skills and knowledge) or ‘not yet competent’ (at this time you haven’t been able to demonstrate required skills or knowledge). The key word is “YET”.
Your trainer will provide you with feedback on your assessments so that you know what you have done well in your assessment and what you need to improve upon or fix. An “NYC” result does not mean that you have failed and that is it – you have the opportunity to try again. It could be that one question in your assessment was deemed not yet satisfactory and this is the only question that will require review.
|C||Competent||Has successfully completed unit and has met the minimum competency criteria and demonstrated the required skills and knowledge|
|NYC||Not Yet Competent||Has not met minimum competency criteria for the unit – certain section/s require review due to not meeting the requirements and being deemed not yet satisfactory|
|CT||Credit Transfer||Application required|
|RPL||Recognition of Prior Learning||Application required|
For further information regarding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfers (CT), please contact on our office on (03) 9674 0331
The assessment activities contained below have been designed for the following unit(s) of competency:
BSBWOR502 Lead and manage team effectiveness
This is a summative assessment process. For the student to be assessed as competent in each Unit of Competency, all questions and activities need to be satisfactorily completed.
Each assessment activity contained within:
|Assessment 1:||Short Answer Questions|
|This requires the completion of all comprehensive questions. This is a summative assessment activity, which means it is an assessment of what you have learnt and used towards the assessment of your overall competency.|
|Assessment 2:||Case Study 1|
|This is a summative assessment activity, which means it is an assessment of what you have learnt and used towards the assessment of your overall competency.|
Assessment 1 and 2 Instructions
|Type of Assessment||This is a summative assessment activity, which means it is an assessment of what you have learnt and used towards the assessment of your overall competency.|
|General||There are a number of short answer questions and a case study. You must attempt each assessment. If you have difficulty with understanding the question or completing the answers, then talk to your trainer. Your trainer is there to help you understand and help you demonstrate your understanding, not to complete the answers for you. You are required to answer all questions and provide as much detail as you can. These questions are not required to be completed under exam conditions.|
|Context and purpose of assessment||The short answer questions and the case study have been drawn from the information contained in your workbook/ learning materials. Therefore, you should have a good understanding of the answers|
|Assessment instructions||Read the information provided and fully complete all questions as asked.|
|Resources, equipment & material required||Learner Guide Computer Internet|
|How you will be assessed||Upon completion of your responses you will be assessed against a standard answer sheet to ensure that you have covered the questions and that your responses are consistent with the unit requirements. All questions must be correct for satisfactory completion. For more information on the specific criteria contained in the unit descriptor, speak with your trainer. They will provide you with a copy of the criteria or refer to your learner guide which includes the performance criteria.|
Assessment 1: Short Answer Questions
Think about a time where you have worked in a team and established a common understanding and purpose. Discuss the following points below (80-100 words)
- Was there a clear team purpose?
- What were the roles, responsibilities and accountabilities in accordance with organisational goals, plans and objectives?
You been asked to develop a performance plan to establish expected outcomes, outputs, key performance indicators and goals for work team.
Complete the following questions based on how you would develop the performance plan:
- What is the process for this?
- How is this communicated and/or documented?
- Who is involved?
- How does this help the team and individuals involved?
- What could be improved?
(80-100 words in total)
Give two (2) examples of how you could support team members in meeting expected performance outcomes.
Describe how you would provide feedback to team members to:
- encourage value and reward individuals
- team efforts
- their contributions.
(30-50 words each)
Describe how you would encourage team members and individuals to participate in and take responsibility for team activities including communication processes (80-100 words)
Describe how you would support the team in identifying and resolving work performance problems (80-100 words)
Provide an example of how your own contribution to the work team serves as a role model for others and enhances the organisation’s image for all stakeholders. (80-100 words)
Please provide commentary below with your views and examples linking to a workplace that you are familiar with, about the communication processes.
|Process||Your views and examples|
|Set your vision, objectives and communication needs – How is this done in the workplace? Are people aware of it?|
|Determine your communication strategy as each approach and circumstance will be different – Which methods do you use to communicate? – Why do you choose different strategies?|
|Plan for any organisational changes that may occur when communicating with stakeholders – Give an example – a restructure in the company – how would you communicate this with relevant stakeholders|
|Create your communication implementation plan – Link to the example above – how will you communicate the change?|
|Implement/initiate your process – What steps do you take to communicate? – What methods of communication will you use? – Who is accountable for the communication?|
|Measure your success – As required by the organisation- did it work or would there have been a better way? – Did you ensure information was recorded taking into account legislative requirements, such as privacy, confidentiality and other legal requirements, such as storage and retention? – How did you track and record the communication? – What methods did you use to record the communication (audio, written etc.)|
|Other – Any additional information that you wish to provide to support your communication methods and outcomes|
Discuss the following and offer suggestions for improvement. This should link to the example/s that you have discussed in Question 8.
|Suggested area||Your comments and suggestions|
|How would you encourage a culture of open communication from appropriate workplace senior management to teams?|
|What effective lines of communication with line managers/ managers to a team could you implement?|
|How could you ensure all forms of communications answered or followed promptly and appropriately?|
Assessment 2: Case Study
You are employed by National Camper Trailers as the Sales / Accounts Manager.
You have just been notified by one of your major customers Pathfinder Outdoor Destinations Pty Ltd, that they are going to cancel their order for the 40 top of the range Stargazer Mark V Camper Trailers. The company has made this decision based on the cost of the product and the proposed Government tax rise on Off Road activities to protect the environment.
Based on initial calculations due to the loss of this contract, this represents over 20% of your revenue for next year. This has had an impact on the team and their performance of National Camper Trailers.
Current identified issues and questions;
- Staff have heard ‘rumours’ about this but it has not been confirmed.
- There is anxiety, fear and some staff are becoming disgruntled as they are not sure what this means for their jobs.
- There is conflict in some teams.
- Some individuals are not performing, and this is causing larger issues in the team.
- Is there an alternative that can be offered to the client?
- Declining performance in the sales team has further reduced since the rumours began.
The CEO has asked you to head up a team to discuss these issues and consider what can be done to rectify the issues, including addressing performance gaps in the organisation.
The CEO has identified that there are gaps in policies and procedures in the workplace and has requested new policies and procedures be developed. A template has been provided for use. It has also been acknowledged that there is a gap in performance, particularly in the sales team. A performance plan and process to deliver the improved performance is required to be developed. (this will form part 1 of your assessment).
Based on these discussions, the CEO has also requested an in depth analysis of the situation, the impact to the organisation and how you will address these issues (Part 2 of your assessment).
As per the Case Study, the CEO has identified that National Camper Trailers has a gap in its policies, procedures and processes. You have been asked to develop the following four (4) documents:
- Policy and procedure for responsibilities of the organisation
- Policy and procedure for decision making
- Policy and procedure for addressing issues and concerns in the workplace
- Completion of a Performance Plan including the planning process.
You have been provided with a template for the Policy and Procedure and the Performance Plan. (When you first click on the assessment, you will see that along with the assessment, there are two additional templates. All sections must be completed.)
Develop a Policy and Procedure:
Due to the issues raised in the Case Study, you have been requested to create three (3) new policies and procedures using the template provided.
- Develop a Policy & Procedure to guide all levels of the business to inspire all team members to take responsibility for their own work and assist others to undertake required roles and responsibilities. This should also reference performance review processes including the development and review of KPIs and the Code of Conduct.
- Develop a Policy and Procedure to implement strategies to ensure that team members have regular forums and opportunity to provide input into planning, decision making and operational aspects of work team. This should also reference performance review processes and the Code of Conduct. You might also include reference to key meetings that are held in the organisation that staff are required and/or encouraged to participate in.
- Develop a Policy & Procedure to ensure that issues, concerns and problems identified by team members are recorded, recognised and addressed and appropriate follow up and response is communicated. This should link to both meeting management, Code of Conduct and a grievance process.
Please note: All sections of the Policy and Procedure template must be completed. We do expect a level of detail in the responsibilities and procedures. If you only provide one or two dot points in this section, we will request further detail.
Develop a Performance Plan
- As per the Case study, it has also been acknowledged that there is a gap in performance, particularly in the sales team. A performance plan and process to deliver the performance plan is required to be developed. (this will form part 1 of your assessment).
Develop a Performance Plan with KPI’s, outputs and goals for the
Sales Team which incorporates input from stakeholders. There are two
sections to this.
The first is to discuss how to create the performance plan and the second part is to complete a performance plan. All sections of the document are required to be completed.
Answer the questions below, and address the issues, concerns and problems that may present themselves in this case study.
Complete the below table using the information outlined in the case study.
Please note there is more than one issue to be addressed.
Bases on the Case Study, provide a summary of the issues that have been identified by the CEO. For
|Detail of issue||Type: Financial, Human Resources or Infrastructure||Raised by||Date raised||Background||Priority (High/ Medium/Low)|
|What is happening in the workplace?||Select Financial, Human Resources or Infrastructure||This should indicate a name or team in the workplace||What do we know about the issue and have any actions been taken to address the issue?||How important is it that we address this issue?|
Considering the table prepared for Question 1, explain how you would prioritise and develop corrective action for each of the unresolved issues, including how you would address and satisfy concerns for all stakeholders. Please ensure that you address each issue listed in Question 1.
|Communication assigned to||Description||Target resolution date||Status / Action taken||Final solution||Other|
Explain how the group dynamics can support or hinder team performance of National Camper Trailers (80-100 words).
Outline two (2) strategies that could support team cohesion, participation and performance for National Camper Trailers to address the issues identified (30-50 words per strategy)
Explain below two (2) strategies for gaining consensus with the team (30-50 words per strategy).
Explain below what issue resolution strategies are and how they can be used in this Case Study to address the issues raised (80-100 words).