BSBWOR501 Manage personal work priorities and professional development
BSBWOR501 Assessment Task 3 Plan Personal Development Plan Project
STUDENT ASSESSMENT TASK 3
Manage personal work priorities and professional development
There are four parts to this task:
- Part A – You are to identify a company and job role and plan personal work goals.
- Part B – You are required to assess your skills and knowledge against competency standards to determine development requirements
- Part C – You are to seek feedback from others to identify, evaluate and select suitable development opportunities
- Part D – Develop a personal development plan and summarise a policy.
WHAT DO I NEED IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS ASSESSMENT?
- Access to textbooks and other learning materials
- Access to a computer with internet
- Self-assessment template (provided)
- Interview response form (provided)
- Personal Development Plan Template (provided) Professional Development Policy (provided).
WHEN DO I DO THIS TASK?
- You will do this task in the classroom or as homework – your assessor will advise you as to which is required.
Write in the due date as advised by your assessor:_______
WHAT DO I NEED TO SUBMIT?
- Part A – A report
- Part B – Self-assessment
- Part C – A memo and a summary of the interview responses
- Part D – Personal development plan and policy brief
PART A – IDENTIFY COMPANY AND JOB ROLE
- Choose a company (COMPANY: ALFRED HOSPITAL) that you would be interested in working for, as well as a (job role IS FOOD SERVICE MANAGER) within that company. The role you choose (FOOD SERVICE MANAGER) should be at a managerial level. You will need to be able to access a position description and the company’s website. Your assessor can provide you with assistance in identifying this information if you are having difficulty accessing such information.
- Review the company’s website and position description. Consider what your work goals for 12 months would be if you were in that position( AT LEAST 12 POINTS) One of the work goals should be in relation to your own professional development and all goals must be SMART goals.
- Prepare a professional, error free brief report of approximately one page covering the following topics:
- An overview of the company that you have chosen, including the purpose of the business and where it is located and their website address. If you are working you should provide information about your own company.
- An overview of the company’s goals or objectives. If you are working, you should discuss your own company’s overall goals and objectives.
- An overview of the position description for the job role you are interested in. Explain why you are interested in the job role and describe the key responsibilities of the job role.
- An outline of the five work goals that you have identified for the position, including why these goals are relevant to the job role and the company’s strategic goals/plans. Explain why these are suitable goals for a 12-month period.
- Submit your report to your assessor.
PART B – ASSESS SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Imagine you gained employment in the role that you identified in Part A of this assessment. The Advanced Diploma of Leadership and Management is the management qualification identified in your position description. Your new manager has asked you to complete a self-assessment of your skills and knowledge against Unit of Competency from the qualification with the intention of developing a personal development plan.
- Identify one unit of Competency from the Advanced Diploma of Leadership and Management to assess your skills and knowledge against.
- Complete the self-assessment of the unit using the self-assessment template provided by your assessor.
- Unit of competency:
PART C – IDENTIFY DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
- Complete professional competence research
- Interview at least two of the following people; friends or colleagues, family members or fellow students who currently work as a manager. Use the interview response form to document their responses.
- Ask them to identify the skills and knowledge that they consider most important for a manager to develop.
- In addition, ask them to discuss one example of a professional development activity they have undertaken and how this was beneficial to them. Ask them whether they would recommend this activity to you as part of your development.
- Discuss your ranking in your self-assessment and ask for suggestions for any additional professional development activities you could complete to develop your competence.
NOTE: PLEASE USE BELOW INTERVIEW FORM AND YOU WILL NEED TO TWO INTERVIEW FORMS FOR TWO PEOPLE.
Interview response form
|Name of person participating in interview:|
|Company employed with:|
|Date of interview:|
|Time of interview:|
|What does your current job role involve?|
|What skills and knowledge do you consider are most important to a manager?|
|What skills and knowledge might be important to acquire based on industry trends?|
|Which professional development activity have you participated in recently?|
|How was this beneficial to you?|
|Would you recommend this professional development activity to others? Why or why not?|
|Is there any professional development you think is critical for a manager in your field?|
- Networking Review
- Identify and describe at least two formal networks that a Manager in your chosen field could participate in.
- For the two formal networks identify:
- Organisation name and contact details including telephone and email
- the services offered by the networking organisation
- the costs involved in joining the networking organisation
- the benefits you believe joining the network brings to you
- any other relevant information
- details of an upcoming event provided by the organisation that you are interested in and why you are interested in the event
- Research two potential professional development activities that you could complete in your local area or capital city that would help you develop your competence in the units that you have self-assessed. Note the details of the activities. (ACTIVITIES THAT ARE COMING IN SEPTEMPER IN HOBART AND OTHER ONE CAN BE UPCOMING EVENT)
- Prepare a memo with the outcomes of your research, your network review and a list of at least two potential development activities. Send the memo and the interview responses in an email to your assessor that includes an introduction and a brief summary of the interview responses.
PART D – DEVELOP A PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN
- Personal Development Plan. You are required to develop a professional development plan. Your assessor will provide you with a template for completion. You must complete all sections of the template:
- Your personal and professional goals for the next 12 months and five years
- Your perceived strengths in your skills and knowledge, as well as areas that you would like to improve or gaps you would like to fill e.g. as identified through your self-assessment, interviews or in response to new industry trends.
- Two professional development activities based on areas for improvements and/or gaps you have identified. The activities may be a combination of long and short term goals and may also include the networks that you have identified.
- One of the activities you identify should be able to be completed prior to the completion of this unit of study through one of your identified networks as you will need to participate and report on this professional development activity for Assessment Task 4. You should choose an activity that you can easily participate in such as attending a free networking event or webinar or watching a video or participating in a discussion on a professional blog or in LinkedIn.
- At least one of the professional development activities you identify should be in response to the feedback provided in part B of this assessment.
- For each activity provide the reason(s) why you have identified this as a priority and by when you would like to address the priority. Include an explanation about how each suits your learning style.
NOTE: PLEASE FOLLOW THIS TEMPLATE AS PER QUESTIONS REQUIREMENTS.
Professional Development Plan Template
|Date of development||Date to be reviewed|
Identify your goals in the following table.
|TIMEFRAME||My personal goals are:||My professional goals are:|
|Next 12 months|
|Next 5 years|
Based on the identified areas for improvement and/or gaps, list priorities for professional development.
|Identified area of improvement or gap||Briefly describe why you have identified this as a priority||By when?|
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES
Planned professional development activities (next 12 months) based areas of improvement/gaps.
|Name of activity||Details (provider, location etc)||Benefits of activity||Date||Cost (if applicable)|
- Read the Professional Development Policy and provide a brief overview of how one of your planned activities fits with the policy, for example, who will cover the cost, who will approve the activity, how much financial support will be provided and what are your next steps.
NOTE: PLEASE READ BELOW DESCRIPTION ABOUT QUESTION 2 AND 3 SO DESCRIBE EVERYTHING IN BRIEFLY AS PER DESCRIPTION.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT POLICY
Company ABC is committed to providing a supportive and rewarding environment for employees and recognises that the quality, responsiveness and professionalism of its workforce are inextricably linked to the company’s achievement of its strategic goals.
The purpose of the Professional Development Policy is to encourage and support employees to actively pursue their personal and professional. Company ABC acknowledges that continuing professional development contributes to personal job satisfaction, workplace productivity, reward and recognition.
This policy applies to all employees on fixed term and ongoing appointments.
This policy should be read in conjunction with Staff Study Agreement and the Study Application Form.
Identifying development needs
A staff member’s learning and development needs are primarily identified through the performance cycle and are captured in the staff member’s Personal Development Plan.
Learning and development needs can relate to technical or behavioural capabilities required for the staff member’s current role or future career ambitions. Behavioural capabilities are defined in the Behavioural Capability Framework. For further information refer to the Behavioural Capability Framework guideline.
Where learning and development needs and opportunities have not been identified and agreed to in the staff member’s current personal development plan, staff will generally not be given approval in the that financial or calendar year.
- Company ABC’s Learning and Development branch has the primary responsibility for the provision of professional development programs and activities. The Learning and Development Branch provides advice and support for professional development.
- Staff requesting professional development must complete the Staff Application Form and have it approved by the relevant manager, outlined in this policy and the application form.
- Send the completed and approved application to the Learning and Development Branch for final approval and budget allocation.
- Learning and Development will provide a Staff Study Agreement for you to sign, where relevant, at which point you may register or enrol for your professional development opportunity.
- Learning and Development will not approve any study or professional development activities that staff have already have commenced without prior permission.
- Learning and Development will only consider applications within the time frame advertised on the Intranet.
- Learning and Development are not responsible for enrolling staff into their activities, paying directly for activities, booking travel and accommodation and will not reimburse staff for any associated costs such as meals, travel, accommodation, equipment and resources, stationery, etc.
- Study leave and exam leave is to be approved by the staff member’s Branch Manager. Please read the award for allocations. Staff enrolled in Higher Education programs are eligible to apply for study Leave and exam leave.
- Staff are responsible for providing evidence of completion to the Learning and Development Branch in the way of a Statement of Attainment, Completion Certificate, etc.
- Internal professional development programs will be informed by the company’s strategic goals and priorities. Internal providers are funded solely by the company, and as a general principle, branch and teams are not required to fund internal professional development programs other than to provide work time for employees to attend programs or to subsidise costs such as an external consultant, catering or printing. Team Leaders are responsible for approving attendance at internal professional development programs.
- Where an Branch or team unit requests the Learning and Development Branch to develop and deliver a specific development program, the costs of development and delivery are to be met from the requesting Branch’s budget with costs agreed to as part of the planning process. Executive Managers are responsible for approving the costs and attendance.
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) costs will be met by the Learning and Development team upon approval of activities on an annual basis. Branch Managers are responsible for approving attendance CPD programs.
- High Education costs will be met the Learning and Development team upon approval by way of reimbursement at the successful completion of each subject. Staff enrolled into Higher Education programs must read and adhere to the procedure in the Staff Agreement. Executive Managers are responsible for approving attendance in HE programs.
- Traineeships and other AQF level (Cert II, III, IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma) qualification costs will be met by the Learning and Development team upon approval. Branch Managers are responsible for approving attendance of these programs.
- Short courses and conferences, seminars costs will be met by the individual Branch budgets. Branch Managers are responsible for approving attendance for short courses and conferences, seminars.
- Financial support will be approved in line with the following guide:
|Relevance to current role and Company ABC’s strategic goals:||Financial Support:|
|Directly related to current job role and strategic goals||100%|
|Relevant to future and agreed career goals identified in Personal Develop Plan||75%|
|Relevant to potential future career goals that may be achieved at Company ABC||50%|
|Relevant to potential future career goals that cannot currently be achieved at Company ABC||25%|
|Bears no relevance to current or future job roles or strategic goals||0%|
- Submit the Personal Development Plan and your policy brief to your assessor in an email with an introduction on how you can serve as a role model in a workplace through work planning.
You are to participate in the professional development opportunity they identified in Assessment Task 3 and report on it.
What do I need in order to complete this assessment?
- Access to a computer with Microsoft Word or similar program Your professional development plan.
- Professional development report template (provided).
- This assessment task requires you to participate in and report on a professional development activity that you identified in your personal development plan.
- When you have participated in the professional development activity, you will need to complete the professional development report template provided to you by your assessor. You will need to complete all sections of the report. You should answer each question in a paragraph or two.
|Submit your report to your assessor in an email. What do I need to hand in for this task?||Have I completed this?|
Professional development report
|Title of the professional development opportunity:|
|Overview of the activity:|
|Who presented/delivered the activity?|
|What did you most like about the professional development opportunity?|
|What did you least like?|
|Provide an overview of what you learnt:|
|Other than learning what other benefits did participating in this professional development opportunity provide to you?|
|Would you recommend this activity to others?|
|What do I need to hand in for this task?||Have I completed this?|
|Part A – Report|
|Part B – Self-assessment|
|Part C – Memo & summary of interview|
|Part D – Personal development plan & policy brief|
|PART E- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT REPORT|