BISY2002/ISY2002/ISY202 Information Systems Networking Essentials
Assessment Type Assessment Number Assessment
Designing a Computer Network for a Small to Medium Enterprise
Unit Learning Outcomes
25% (Marks = 50)
Unit Learning Outcomes
ULO 3: Describe and discuss the key functions and various elements (routers, modems, etc.) of modern computer networks (LANs, WANs, and wireless networks).
ULO 4: Design, configure, build, and troubleshoot a simple/basic local area network (LAN).
ULO 5: Identify and critically assess key security and data verification issues related to the creation and maintenance of computer networks.
Graduate Attributes Assessed
GA 1: Communication
GA 2: Collaboration
GA 3: Research
GA 4: Critical Thinking
GA 5: Ethical Behaviour
GA 6: Flexibility
Online Moodle Submission; by 5pm (AEST) Friday of Week 5
You are required to write a report that proposes a network design that meets the business and technical goals of an organization. This assessment is to be done in groups of four to five students.
Detailed Submission Requirements
The word limit of the report is 2500. It should be written in size 12 Arial Font. You must submit your own work and use appropriate references in Harvard style where needed. The similarity index of your report should not be more than 20%. You form the groups (4 or 5 members per group) in Week 1 and must be finalised by Week 2. Instructor will discuss the project with each group in the session 9 and session 10 classes.
Context and Requirements
• Choose an organization that has a small to medium computer network environment, with multiple network services and locations.
• You should clearly discuss the business and technical goals of the chosen organization.
• You should critically analyse various networking technologies that can be used to meet the business and technical goals.
• You should clearly label and draw the logical topology diagram of your organization.
HOW TO PRESENT YOUR ASSIGNMENT / SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Your report must follow the structure given below;
1. Executive Summary
• It should concisely explain the aims, objectives and content of the report. • It should be between 250 – 300 words long (tip: write the abstract last)
• In few paragraphs mention details and background of the organization e.g. type of organization, number of employees, number of branch offices, key business and technical goals.
3. Business and Technical Goals
• Explain at least five key business goals of the organization.
• Explain at least five key technical goals of the organization.
4. Designing of Network • You must explain the various components of your network in this section.
• You must explain the various networking technologies that you have used to meet the business and technical goals of the organization.
• Draw and explain the logical topology diagram of your network.
• Provide appropriate citations in Harvard style.
5. Hardware and Software Requirements
• Clearly mention the hardware and software required for your network.
• Various devices e.g. routers, switches, firewalls etc. that fit your goals and requirements should be clearly mentioned. Provide appropriate citations in Harvard style.
• Conclude your report by highlighting key business and technical goals of the new network, and how these goals are met in the new design.