Basic Tips to Structure an Assignment
Students in higher academia, typically in universities and colleges, spend more time on writing the main body of an assignment than they do on structuring. The result is that professors are often bogged down by assignments that are rich in details but lack structure and coherence. A well-structured essay helps a student to highlight the main points and present the arguments better.
How to structure an assignment?
While there are disciplinary differences regarding the structure to be followed, one can still summarize some important points common to all disciples.
Related Article: Assignment Introduction
1. All assignments should at least have 3 parts:
And those are an introduction, the main body, and a conclusion.
Treat your assignment or your essay like a three-act drama. In the first part, you introduce your reader to the subject matter of the assignment. In the next part, you delve into the main research topic of the assignment and finally, you state your research findings. However, disciplinary requirements should always be kept in mind. Some subjects might call for specialized structures. For instance, science students while writing about their experiments usually follow a three-structure format of a hypothesis, details of an experiment and an inference. A nursing case study should start with a patient’s medical case history, followed by the pathological symptoms, the diagnosis, the treatment received and a post-discharge medical regimen to be followed by the patient. Similarly, a marketing case study should have a brief history of the company followed by a situational analysis, environmental scanning and finally recommendations for the future.
2. The introduction is the most important part of an assignment:
It’s important to write a convincing introduction in order to retain the attention of the reader. There are usually two ways to write an introduction — a deductive style and an inductive style.
a) Deductive style:
In a deductive style of writing, a researcher moves from the general to the specific through the process of deduction. It is a ‘top-down’ approach in which a researcher starts with a general introduction and then moves to a specific problem.
“Since there is a lot of traffic congestion in the morning on my way to the office, I must leave my house at least two hours before in order to reach my office at ten o’clock”
b) Inductive style:
On the other hand, in an inductive style of writing, a researcher moves from the specific to the general. It is a ‘bottom-up’ approach in which specific point(s) add(s) up to some general conclusion. Here is an example, to drive the point home.
“I must leave my house at least two hours before in order to reach my office at ten o’clock. There is a lot of traffic congestion in the morning on my way to the office.”
In the first style, we make a general observation (i.e. heavy traffic congestion) and then use it to deduce early exit from home to reach office on time. But in the second style, we start with a specific piece of information (i.e. my early exit from home) and use it as a supporting statement to make a general observation. Inductive and deductive styles can be followed while writing the introduction of any assignment. A mix of the two is also followed sometimes.
3. State all your research findings in the main body of the assignment:
This is important from a disciplinary point of view because the purpose of giving an assignment is to observe whether students have understood what has been taught in the class and whether they have the ability to apply it to a specific research problem. Students are required to demonstrate their command over the specific area on which they are writing. While there is no particular formula that will work for all disciplines, still there are three things students should always remember while writing an assignment:
a) You should try to stick to the point
b) It is always important to be analytical rather than descriptive
c) You should not write anything that was not promised in the introduction
These are the things you come across very often whenever you read an article on tips to write an essay.
4. Finally round up your discussion in your conclusion:
The student should summarize the principal topics touched upon in the assignment. They should remind the reader(s) about the main arguments and finally state their intervention and where it differs from existing literature on the subject.
It is important to remember that all essays or assignments need not follow all these tips in toto. It is always good to be creative and tweak your writings according to the course requirements or the requirements of the teacher.
The above discussion will, nonetheless, help the students to keep in mind some crucial points that should be common to all well-written assignments across disciplinary boundaries.
Sample Question And Solution Of Basic Tips To Structure An Assignment
CIS5100 Assignment 1
- Define what a Database Management System is.
- Explain why a Database Management System is the appropriate tool for this project.
- Define what a Decision Support System is.
- Explain why a Decision Support System is the appropriate tool for this project.
- From the results of the Decision Support System results discuss the following (keeping in mind the information provided in the preamble on page 2):
Which Mark-up Type would be most appropriate for the business? Why?
What would be the impact on the business profit if the plan to provide a discount to large orders was implemented? Why?
Which Recommended Freight Type would be most appropriate for the business? Why?
Which country would be most appropriate for the business to import from at the moment? Why?
- This assignment must be all your own work. It is acceptable to discuss course content with others to improve your understanding and clarify requirements, but solutions to assignment questions must be done on your own.
- You must not copyfrom anyone, including tutors and fellow students, nor allow others to copy your work.
- All Assignments will be checked using collusion monitoring tools to ensure that each assignment is the original work of the submitting student. Assignments that do not adhere to this requirement will be deemed as being the result of collusion or plagiarism. This may lead to severe academic penalties as outlined in USQ Policy Library: Academic Integrity Policy and Procedure. It is your own responsibility to ensure the integrity of your work. Refer to the USQ Policy Library for more details.
Writing Assignment Outline: Why Is It Important
An assignment outline is nothing but a plan of what do you wish to include in your paper. The broader elements are broken down in a clear and concise way. Composing an assignment outline has several benefits.
Here’s everything you should know.
- The perfect assignment outline helps students organize their thoughts.
- It helps in finding the most logical order to present academic work.
- In addition to it, an assignment outline helps in connecting one idea to another in a seamless and rational manner.
- It prevents the writer from getting stuck while drafting the final copy.
- The assignment outline categorizes the main points and organizes all paragraphs into an order that creates sense from every aspect.
Now that you know about the essential benefits of composing an assignment outline, structure your paper accordingly in order to produce flawless content.
Sure-fire Tips to Structure an Assignment Flawlessly
Merely knowing about the application and benefits of outlining an assignment isn’t enough. One must also know how to structure an assignment with perfection. Hence, here are the most effective tips to help you outline assignments with perfection. Take note.
- Decide whether you will write the assignment structure by hand or type it.
- Narrow down the topic in case the subject matter appears to be too broad in nature.
- Identify the purpose of your outline and know your intended audience.
- If applicable, then organize your notes, research essay materials, and other components according to the assignment guidelines.
- Now list all supporting ideas and arguments for each major aspect of points to be discussed.
So, put on your thinking cap, focus on each of the aforementioned suggestions, and initiate the task of structuring your assignment like a pro.
How Punjab Assignment Help can help students to write their assignments?
Punjab Assignment Help is a premier assignment service provider of Australia, the UK, and the US. It has a vast archive of sample assignments on marketing, law, engineering, science and nursing for students’ reference. The professional writers here help out students to structure essays and write assignments with bibliography and proper citations. Students can further buy custom made assignments at reasonable rates.
Most Popular FAQs Searched By Students:
Q.1. How do you structure an assignment?
Ans: Before starting to write your assignment, create a map or a plan to guide you. This will help you make sure that you have not missed out on any of the critical parts of the assignment. In the introduction, give a general orientation for the topic. For every paragraph of the body, start it with the central idea that you are going to talk about. Use linking words to maintain a flow through the different paragraphs as well as keep parity with the thesis statement. In conclusion, take the most important points discussed and end with a suggestion.
Q.2. What are the elements of an assignment?
Ans: Students must start their assignments with a cover page by using different fonts and graphics to make it look appealing. The cover page must include the student’s details like name, class, subject, etc. After the cover page comes the table of contents. Make sure that you provide the page numbers for easy navigation. The assignment is divided into 3 parts – introduction, body, and conclusion. The introduction should tell the reader what the assignment is about. The body should contain a logical development of the argument of the paper divided into sub-sections, followed by a justified conclusion.
Q.3. How do you write a perfect assignment?
Ans: Create a schedule and break the assignment down into manageable chunks. You can also create a basic assignment structure for the points and key arguments. Leave the introduction for the end and start by framing the thesis statement. While structuring your argument, make sure that each point has supporting evidence. As you use sources, add them to your reference list to save time. Summarise your previous arguments and do not introduce new ideas in the conclusion. Edit and proofread your assignment to remove errors and cite all the sources properly.